Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Not your grandma's pressure cooker!

Since I am working full time, I always try to find the easiest way to prepare meals.  I can not find time to do the "once a month" cooking; but I still need to find fast fixes for dinner. Allow me to introduce to you my new favorite kitchen appliance......the Cuisinart 6 qt. electric pressure cooker!  This is not your grandma's pressure cooker, with rattling lids that taunt you with potential explosions, or having to monitor the pressure  every  so often.  This does all the work for you! Just plug it in, pick your setting, time, and....walk away!  Looove it!  I can not tell you what a help it has been for me and my family!






It solves the problem of forgetting to turn on your crockpot in the morning, or forgetting to pull meat out of the freezer to thaw.  In our house, dinner is usually around 5:30, so I generally start thinking about what to have around 4pm.  This doesn't allow time for defrosting, with the exception of the microwave; and even when I do that, I hate how sometimes the edges of chicken and roasts actually get cooked while the centers are still frozen!  You know exactly what I'm talking about!.


With the pressure cooker, I can literally throw in my frozen chicken with a few other ingredients and have dinner ready in about 30 minutes!  Some of the things I've attempted have been various chicken recipes, a to-die-for pot roast, stuffed pork chops (didn't turn out too great, but were still edible), dry beans for my refried bean recipes, spaghetti sauce and baked potatoes.  I have invested in a few pressure cooker recipe books that I will post about as I find successful and easy recipes.


Let me caution you that using a pressure cooker takes practice!  You have to learn to adjust cooking times, get the right amount of liquids in the cooker, and find recipes that actually make it a time saver.   That last comment refers to the fact that I've found A LOT of recipes that have so much prep time involved, with so many ingredients I would have rather eaten a microwave dinner!


This pressure cooker is NOT for canning.  If you are interested in that, you will have to purchase a bigger, stove top one.  This one is perfect for cooking for our family of four.  I got mine at a kitchen specialty store, but I have seen it in several big chain stores.  If you are forgetful when it comes to prepping your food for dinner, this appliance would be great for you!  Check out cookingwithlornasass.wordpress.com or missvickie.com for blogs about pressure cooking.  There are also recipes on pinterest.  Have fun in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment