Monday, February 18, 2013

Freezing Methods

There aren't too many freezing methods, but you should be familiar with them and use the ones that are best suited for the type of food you are freezing. Your available space may also determine the type of freezer method you use. The following is just my opinion and tips; what works for me.

First, reusable plastic containers- there are so many brands of freezer safe, reusable, plastic containers. Remember to leave room for expansion when the food freezes, especially if freezing liquids. I tend to use containers when freezing soups and chilies only. Make sure you buy many of one type of container, it makes it easier to stack them in the freezer.

Another method is disposable aluminum pans. This is a method that I like the best. Disposable pans tend to be used for casseroles, lasagnas, and other pasta dishes. I have used mine for quiches, stratas, and even for recipes using whole chicken breasts. You can buy pans at any local grocery store, but I prefer to buy mine at the dollar tree. They are 2/$1 there. I have had trouble finding disposable pans with lids in local stores. The lids are great to use because they protect and hold up in the freezer a little better. Aluminum foil can tear when stacked on top of each other. You can buys pans with lids online, but only in huge quantities. If you and a friend(or two!) went in on an order, it might be worth it. It is recommended that you remove the lids before cooking and cover with foil. I have to admit that I have forgotten to do this a time or two, and the lids did just fine in the oven. Unless I find out the lids have some horrible chemical that contaminates the food, I might "forget" again!
If you don't use lids on the pans, just cover with aluminum foil. It is suggested you do a double layer, one of plastic wrap, them foil, to adequately protect the food, but because I cook my meals fairly quickly, I only use foil. You have to remember to remove the plastic wrap before you cook. I have also forgotten to do this step, and unlike the lids, I would NOT do that again!
The nice thing about pans is this- on the days I have forgotten to get something outntonthaw in the morning, I can still grab something frozen in a pan and stick it in the oven. You just have to cook it same temperature but longer. It is recommended to plan on the stated cooking time +half. I have found better luck if I just double the time. Some people will try to wash and reuse their pans, which you can do if you have patience and heavier aluminum pans. I don't have patience and I buy the cheaper pans, so I don't try to save them.

The last freezer technique is freezer bags. This is a great method too. If you are preparing "dump" recipes where everything goes in the bag and then you freeze it is great to do. I also like to make dinner "kits". One kit, for example, is my pizza kits. I freeze English muffins, shredded cheese(separate bag), pizza sauce(separate bag) all into a bigger, gallon size bag. It's a great grab and go dinner option. Different dishes to put in bags are pasta dishes, meats with marinade, baked goods, individual servings wrapped, then frozen in one bag. DO NOT skimp on brands of freezer bags. It pays to get the name brand- they are thicker, more durable, and have better seals. Another tip- a lot of people love the fact that bags can b e frozen flat to save space. I however, have found that I like to stand them upright or place them in a bowl to make a frozen shape that is wider at the bottom. This way, I can take it directly from the freezer, rip the bag off, and it fits perfectly in my slow cooker! No thawing necessary. If frozen flat, it creates a square that needs to be thawed before placing in the slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment