Saturday, February 16, 2013

How to get started.....

I figured that my handout on freezer cooking is somewhat of a skeleton outline for the general public, since you missed the details of the presentation. So I decided I would break it down and explain each of the points on the handout. I guess you could call it an online course on freezer cooking, of sorts!
I'm skipping the first point of the handout, Reasons Why You Should do Freezer Cooking; I think that needs no further explanation!
So, lets move on to the next point- How to Get Started!

It's overwhelming to try to figure out how to start without any advise or guidance. For me, I tried to follow what was written in the books I have about the subject. I will share some thoughts of my own about getting started, without the books!

Ask yourself "what recipes do I have that I can freeze?" You might not have recipes that are specific to freezer cooking, but A LOT of the recipes you already use can be frozen without much adapting. Many common, easy things can be frozen- chili, sloppy joe mix, taco meat, shredded chicken, breakfast sandwiches, etc.; all things you can try without a lot time or money invested.

Next, what appliances do you have? Why does this matter? Freezer cooking is all about saving time, and some of those appliances you rarely use might come in handy on your once a month cooking day! I use a food processor, mixer, pressure cooker, slow cooker, bread machine, griddle and more when I am cooking!

Lastly, how much freezer space do you have? This matters! If all you have is the top freezer in your refrigerator, you will need to consider how many recipes you can prepare, and what you are going to freeze them in; freezer bags vs. pans.

Stay tuned for tips on Cooking Day......beginning with getting organized to start your day off right!

No comments:

Post a Comment