Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Never in A Million Years!

Never in a million years would I have thought that surgery would make me soooo tired!  No one could've convinced me that I, a mother of two, who works full time, operates a small farm, a Jamberry Nail Consultant, and who would like some time with my husband, would be practically out of commission because I am so tired!  I have hit day #12 and am feeling ok today.  If I could, I would sit on the couch all day, watching tv, checking facebook, and napping as needed.  I try to do something and it completely wipes me out afterwards!  I can fix dinner, but then I am on the couch the rest of the night.  I went to work yesterday, but I was on the couch the rest of the afternoon.  I go outside to check on the animals, but feel like I've hiked a mile.  I just want to sleep!  The frustrating thing is that sometimes I try to sleep, and it never really comes!  I lay there, eyes closed, the feeling that my body weighs 1000 lbs, totally relaxed, but never able to fall into a sleep.  The next thing I know, something needs to be done and I have to get up for a while, only to feel like I've been hit by a truck afterwards and want to sleep.....again!

I wish someone would've told me the impact that general anesthesia had on my body.  It is especially frustrating because my incision doesn't hurt, I'm not immobile, and I am not used to having down time, haha.  I had no idea that it stays in your system as long as it does.  I guess it is somewhat beneficial though, because it makes you so tired that you can't do anything, allowing your body to heal.

I decided to take charge and try to snap out of it, but only by really listening to my body and allowing myself to do the things I am capable of right now.  I rearranged my work schedule, so that I am only back 1/2 days for this week.  This allows me to sleep in and wake up naturally, without an alarm.  This is huge!  My 1st day was this morning and I can't tell you the difference it made.  I feel rested and ready to tackle the day.  I also am ONLY drinking water!  I realized that I had been "treating" myself to my favorite drink- Diet Dr. Pepper with Peach syrup almost daily since my surgery.  I really believe that aspartame can cause problems and I think it was magnifying the side affects I was already dealing with.  I switched to water yesterday, and believe it or not, noticed an immediate difference!  My head was not in a fog and I was able to think clearly.  I was not immediately filled with energy, but the effort to get off the couch was not as great.  I was frustrated by the fact that I was going to the bathroom every hour, but I can live with that.  I am hoping the water will flush out that anesthesia more quickly.

My advice to anyone getting any type of surgery is allow yourself  time to recover!  Rest as much as you can, but also recognize when activity may be needed to wake you up a little.  Wish me luck as I continue to recover.  I am almost 2 weeks out.  I have one piece of tape left on my incision and it will come off anyday now.  The bottom half that is already uncovered looks really good, I was somewhat surprised.  I will post 2 week pics in a couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment