Saturday, July 14, 2012

Lego birthday

Hard to believe my baby turned 6 this week! He was so excited to have a Lego themed party, so I had set out scouring the internet for ideas. Having said that, there were a ton of fun things out there! It became a little overwhelming, but I knew two things; one was that I wanted a general Lego theme, not one of their themes like ninjago or star wars. The other was that I wanted it to be cheap! I have usually spent $100 on parties for my boys, so it was actually a fun challenge to try and plan one for under that.

Here's what I came up with:
Free Lego themed printables at www.peoniesandpoppyseeds.com. She has a great FREE Lego printable kit that includes water bottle labels, straw tags, banner, cupcake wrappers and
more! A side note- the cupcake wrappers needed to be a little longer to wrap all the way around. I didn't end up using them.

Thank heavens for the Dollar Tree! Cheap paper products. Picked up table clothes and napkins there. I got the idea for the faces on the yellow napkins off of a pinterest post. They actually used paper plates, but we were serving cupcakes, so I didn't see a need for them.

The favors were a hit- a surprise mini Lego figure with some candy- easy ! The boys thought they were cool!

I really don't enjoy playing games so I opted to throw in a craft. We made bottle cap necklaces with the Lego head in the center. I had beads that they could add on either side of them on the cord. They also loved that and it was one more thing they could put in their favor bags.

The games were the hardest because a) I don't really like games and b) I wasn't sure what this age group would really enjoy.
We played Lego bingo, which I had printed for free off the Internet. The boys didn't really care for that- it was a little slow paced for them. We only played one round, them moved on to the next game. We played a couple of relay games that were a hit! I had beach balls to use; the first one they had to put the ball between their knees and race. The second one they had to pair up, put the ball between them at their stomach and without using their hands, walk together keeping the ball between them to the finish line. They absolutely loved them! We also had a Lego tower building contest that was just ok- not great. I also gave them some time to create and play with our Lego supply which was also a hit. The winners of the games got to pick silly bands. I made sure that everyone left with at least one !

Refreshments were cupcakes with printable cupcake picks, and easy to serve cups of ice cream. Water was the drink of choice with the printable water labels.

The party was a success! The boys had a blast! My older boy said he wants a Lego party too! We will just come up with new games for his! I will reprint a few things and come up with some new ideas- saw a Lego photo op as part of the party that I want to try. Pinterest has a ton of great ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment